Website security may not be a priority to most website owners but it should be an area of concern for your business. Each day over 30,000 websites are hacked which means that over 10 million sites are hacked each year. Hackers don’t just target the government, large banks or department stores but they go after a large number of sites they are vulnerable to their malicious code.
It is important to keep your website secure from attacks and here are some tips to follow to do this.
- Make sure your web site was built following good secure coding principles.
- Make sure you are using a reputable hosting company that offer security features such as backup and restoring your website. Bluehost is a good choice.
- Insure you have frequent backups of your website (particularly if you host a database with dynamic content or user information) as you may be forced to restore it in the event of an attack. Sometimes tidying up the damage left by cyber criminals is hard work.
- Perform a regular scan or check on your website to spot unexpected changes or nasty malicious content. Sitelock is a good scanning service for website virus protection and removal.
- For ecommerce or shopping websites check that when you transfer personal information, credit card or other sensitive data you encrypt the web traffic using SSL. (Secure Socket Layers). There is a great free tool you can use to check how well your site does this here. You can also check with your hosting company to get this feature.
- For CMS (Content Management System) websites like WordPress or Drupal use a strong password to login to your website.
- For WordPress websites always keep the most current WordPress version and ensure your theme and plugins are kept current.
They are other tips but these are the key ones. If you need assistance or someone to help keep your website secure let us help today.
Source: Forbes Tech News